Outdoor furniture needs to be able to take a serious beating. In addition to nature’s elements, it has to stand up to whatever we throw at it. And let’s be honest, no one wants to run outside to pull in the patio furniture when the weather turns, or put a cover over it after every use. Not to mention the damaging effects of a sunny day! That’s why we developed Crypton Outdoor fabric. Crypton Outdoor offers superior protection against stains, mold, mildew, and the damaging effects of the sun and moisture on outdoor furniture.
With the same integrated moisture barrier as our flagship Crypton fabric, cushions made with Crypton Outdoor fabric are protected from spills and splashes. Even when cushions are left out in the rain, water simply beads up and rolls off – it will never seep through to the inside – meaning there is no lasting damage and the cushions can be used again right away.
Crypton’s Superior Performance Features Come Standard
- Minimum 1,000 hours of UV protection
- Extreme stain repellency and soil release make cleaning easy
- Permanent, breathable protection built into every fiber
- Integrated non-porous moisture barrier
- Enhanced anti-fungal protection for outdoor use
- Silver Ion anti-microbial protection offers resistance to odor-causing microbes
- Disinfectable when used in conjunction with our EPA-registered Crypton Disinfectant & Deodorizer
- Passes ACT heavy duty specifications and Wyzenbeek 50,000 (min.) double rubs
- Passes flammability requirements for commercial upholstery
- Processed at our plant in Kings Mountain, NC
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified technology
- Environmentally preferable chemistry
- Closed-loop industrial processes that cycle waste back into production
- 100 percent of fabric scraps recycled into shoddy
- Free of potentially harmful levels of VOCs, PFOS, PFOA, formaldehyde, heavy metals, phenols, phthalates, and skin sensitizers
- No halogenated flame retardants (FRs), no PBDEs
How It's Made
Skilled designers and engineers craft new looks and textures to meet Crypton specifications for durability. Fabrics are pre-tested to ensure all required heavy-duty performance standards can be achieved.
Thousands of yards of approved fabric are delivered to Crypton’s plant in Kings Mountain, NC from our network of licensed US mills.
Bolts of fabric are sewn together and guided onto rollers to advance through the complete immersion bath process, which coats each fiber of fabric with our patented Crypton formula.
A membrane foundation layer is applied to the backing to ensure the fabric is waterproof.
Combined with high temperatures, the electronegative and polar-covalent molecules in our formula are activated for maximum repellency of oil- and water-based liquids. During the drying process the water-borne polymer disperses to encapsulate each fiber while crosslinking functional groups permanently bind the chemistry to the fabric.
An impenetrable moisture barrier is integrated to the back of the fabric, imparting hydrostatic and chemical resistance so that liquids cannot pass through. The low glass transition temperature of the networked, polymeric barrier ensures fabric remains soft to the touch.
Fabric goes through our inspection process, where trained staff scrutinizes every inch of fabric coming off the line before separating it into bolts to be sent off to be made into beautiful products for outdoor living.